Building our Metropolitan Rapid Transit System
- September 30, 2021
- Posted by: Joe Milazzo II
- Category: Blog
One of RTA’s top priorities is to accelerate the development of a metropolitan rapid transit system for our growing region.
The regional business community recognizes that an increasingly effective, equitable, and indeed exceptional rapid transit system will be transformational — for our metropolitan region, and for our region’s people. It will provide improved mobility, accessibility, and opportunity, and as a result improve the economic mobility, success, and sustainability of our community.
RTA believes that our metropolitan rapid transit system will have 7 broad, complementary elements:
- Regional commuter rail spine.
- Regionwide bus rapid transit network.
- Multimodal linkages, including bikeways, “complete streets”, and local area solutions.
- Zero fare transit policy, to promote equity, ridership, and system efficiency.
- Equitable land use policies that encourage proximity and economic mobility.
- Sustainable energy practices for reliability, environmental, and public health goals.
- Operations-focused and innovation-ready mindset for transit planning, design, and implementation.
You can view the metropolitan rapid transit system working page for additional background on the various elements of the above investments, policies, practices, and mindset.
Let’s get moving,
Joe Milazzo II, PE
RTA executive director
RTA is the voice of the regional business community on transportation in the Research Triangle area.
RTA represents more than 100 leading businesses and 25 member chambers of commerce in central and eastern North Carolina. RTA is a regional program of the Raleigh Chamber.